Welcome to HSS Sailing Center
Interested in sailing in Helsinki? Training for adults in the HSS Sailing Center provides excellent training and atmosphere for sailors for all levels. From adult beginner sailing courses to instructed sailing and competitions. A fleet of several different classes of boats is at member’s disposal. Come join us!
Kiinnostaako kilpapurjehdus tai purjehduskurssi? Aikuispurjehdus HSS:n Sailing Centerissä tarjoaa erinomaista opetusta sekä omistautuneen harrastusporukan kaikentasoisille purjehtijoille. Tarjontaan kuuluu purjehduskursseja aloittelijoille sekä ohjattuja treenejä ja kilpailuja. Jäsenemme voivat purjehtia useilla eri tyyppisillä veneillä. Tule mukaan!
Sivustomme on sekä suomeksi että englanniksi.
Our webpage is both in English and Finnish.
About HSS Sailing Center
HSS Sailing Center is a committee under Helsingfors Segelsällskap -sailing club. Sailing Center organises adults sailing courses, training, lectures, races and much more. The sailing season starts in April with first “talkoo” when all Laser 16 and Elliott 6mr boats are fixed up for sailing. At the end of April, the first beginner’s weekend course will be organised and the first brave ones will be training on the water. In May starts the actual sailing season. HSS Sailing Center offers three different classes of boats and training tailored for all experience levels. There are plenty of learning opportunities for both beginners and experienced racers. The season continues till the end of October including different kind of clinics, races, parties, talkoos and so on. At the end of October, it’s time to lift all boats and start planning next season.
In season 2019 HSS Sailing Center had about 70 members. The core of HSS Sailing Center is the Sailing Center community which means our members – people who want and can make things happen together. Being part of the community means participating, learning, doing together and having fun – and of course sailing. Sailing Center works mainly on a voluntary basis so everyone’s input is important. Read more about us in the following pages.
Hey sailors! Season 2019 is over, but further information about season 2020 coming soon. Stay tuned!
Your handbook to HSS Sailing Center: HSS Sailing Center Info Package 2019
(Updated 2020 Info Package coming soon)
Additional information on the following pages.
Want to become HSS Sailing Center member?
HSS Sailing Center Membership Application 2020 will be updated here soon.
PUBLIC BOAT REPORT
The season 2020 beginners’ courses in sailing will be available soon! Book your spot for a course and learn the basics of sailing.
- You do not need any previous sailing experience to join
- Every year we have multiple different nationalities represented, so feel comfortable joining in even you don’t speak a word in Finnish.
During the weekend we will focus on both sailing theory indoors and sailing basics on land in a simulator and in water as existing weather conditions allow. After the course, you have learned the basics of sailing and rigging of the boat. If you choose to join the Sailing Center you will then be ready to take part in our coached beginner training. This course is held using our Laser 16 dinghies that are sailed with a crew of 3-4 persons. Crews are formed of the participants of the course.
Further information about the beginners’ courses of 2020 coming soon.
Suositut purjehduksen alkeiskurssimme järjestetään jälleen kaudella 2020! Varaa paikkasi viikonloppukurssilta ja opi purjehduksen perusteet hyvässä seurassa.
- Kurssi on avoin kaikille, ja sinulla ei tarvitse olla aiempaa kokemusta purjehtimisesta.
Viikonlopun aikana keskitymme purjehduksen teoriaan sisätiloissa, purjehduksen perusteisiin maalla simulaattorin avulla, sekä merellä jos sääolosuhteet sallivat. Kurssin jälkeen olet oppinut purjehduksen perusteet ja veneen valmistelun purjehdusta varten. Intensiivinen viikonloppukurssi on hyvä tapa tutustua purjehdukseen! Koska purjehdimme 3-4 hengen L16 jollaveneillä, kurssi sopii hyvin myös niille, joilla on jo jotakin kokemusta isommista veneistä, mutta haluavat oppia veneen käsittelyä ja kipparointitaitoja.
Lisää tietoja vuoden 2020 alkeiskursseista tulossa pian.
COACHED TRAININGS (2019)
Sailing Center organizes approximately 19-21 weeks of training during a season. Weekly trainings are included in the training fee.
There are four different trainings during a week:
- Laser16, Light Green / Dark Green, Beginners group: Basics of sailing, preparation & maintenance of a boat. Starting at the beginning of June, sailing on Tuesdays.
- Laser16 Dark Green, Beginners group: Basics of sailing, preparation & maintenance of a boat, basics of racing. For those who wanna train regularly and participate in training every week. Starting at the beginning of May, sailing on Mondays.
- Elliott, Blue, Intermediate group: Fleet-racing, tactics, trimming, wind tactics. Starting at the beginning of May, sailing on Thursdays.
- Elliott Red, racing group: Fleet-racing, more challenging manoeuvres, boat handling and rules tactics. Starting at the beginning of May, sailing on Tuesdays.
- Saturday training: mixed training for all sailors, everyone welcome!
It is recommended to start training with one group which corresponds to your sailing skills level. After a few sessions, it is possible and even recommended to try out other groups and boats too. Our coaches are more than happy to help you to find the right group! You can find coaches contact information here (link).
Weekday trainings starts at 17.30 for all groups (boat (rigged) and crew ready to go sailing). Beginners groups (green) start at 17.30, crew ready to go sailing, clothes changed etc, but no need to have boats rigged yet. Saturday trainings start at 11.00. Training takes about 2,5-3 hours.
It’s recommended to arrive 30-45min before a coached trainings. Boats should be prepared before the start of the training session.
During Autumns coached trainings starts earlier due to darker evenings. Please check the time from your coach or with an email from email@example.com.
COACH INTRODUCTION AND CONTACTS
If you are not sure which group would be suitable for your level and interest: ask directly from the coaches, ask from Facebook Agora-group, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will find it together!
You don’t need any special gear to start sailing at HSS Sailing Center. For your comfort, bring weatherproof clothing, proper shoes (e.g. trainers) and sailing gloves (gardening gloves with good grip is a good option!). It would be good to have your life jacket but there are life jackets on the island that you can borrow in the beginning. In case you want to invest in own sailing clothing, feel free to ask other members for great tips on what and where to buy. There are a few shops in Helsinki Lauttasaari and many good web stores, for example in England.
HSS Sailing Center will borrow you a life jacket on Beginners Course. On coached trainings own lifejacket is needed.
To stay tuned and on top of all things happening at the island, please, make sure you get all messages. It is easy by following a few steps:
1. Join Facebook group called “HSS SC member agora”
2. Nimenhuuto for training groups and coaches
Every training group (Light Green, Dark Green, Blue and Red) have own Nimenhuuto -group. In Nimenhuuto sailors sign up for every training. That helps our coaches to plan every training and exercises. You will get an invitation by e-mail after you fill up an entry form. If you don’t get an invitation in two weeks after filling the entry form on our page, please, check junk mail and contact your coach. Coaches contact can be found at http://helsinkisailing.com/
3. WhatsApp group for commissions
Every commission (Races and events, Training and courses etc) have own WhatsApp -group for discussion between sailors. You can join your own group by clicking a link, which you can find in the e-mail you will receive in a week after signing up.
All club members (juniors, boat owners, windsurfers) will get about once or twice a month newsletter by e-mail. As you are now a member of the club all events mentioned there are open for you as well!
”Skipper rights” term means that you have the right to skipper a boat outside coached training. You need to have skipper rights if you wanna participate on races and regattas or just wanna go sailing by yourself. You need to apply for the rights for all the classes separately (Laser16, Elliott). Normally members start with Laser16 rights, then move to Elliott skipper rights.
How to apply for skipper rights?
To apply for the skipper rights you need to have your coaches recommendation or then show your skills on the special ”practical examination” -event. If you do have a recommendation from the coach you can just fill up a form (link). If you don’t have a recommendation from the coach, but you think that you handle all the skills required for the skipper rights, you can apply for the practical examination by another form (link).
After filling up a form you will get skipper rights or get an invitation for the practical examination. Concretely skipper rights mean that you will get username and password for the boat booking -system (link) and you are able to book boats.
If you have any problem accessing the booking system, please, contact Aila at email@example.com.
Requirements to get skipper rights:
As a skipper, you have the responsibility for the safety of your crew and the boat which means that you need to have a certain level of experience for obtaining the rights. The skipper rights can be requested for all boat classes separately depending on your experience and interest.
Read here requirements to apply skipper rights for:
Skipper – responsibilities
Every skipper has a responsibility of the boat and crew. That is a normal practice all over the world and in every boat. Skipper’s responsibilities are to make sure that boat is in safe and good condition and he should know the basics of sea rules (meriteiden säännöt). At HSS Sailing Center skipper agrees following:
Agreement and acceptance of terms
To get skipper rights (separately for each class) I commit on the following:
- I am an HSS SC member and have paid my membership fees. (Not required for visiting skippers or HSS juniors.)
- I am familiar with how to use the boats and acknowledge that as a Skipper I am expected to be at a level where I am able to sail with a crew of inexperienced sailors in the given boat type.
I hereby agree with Audi HSS Sailing Center – Helsingfors Segelsällskap r.f. (hereafter “HSS SC”) on the following terms (hereafter ”Agreement”):
- The Skipper agrees to look after the boat he or she is using on behalf of his or her own actions and his or her crews’ actions and guarantees that the boat is being used in accordance with the applicable rules, regulations and orders issued by HSS SC.
- Insurance and damages:
- HSS SC is responsible for ensuring the boats. The insurance covers damages to the skippered boat and damages to third parties (property damages up to 255.000 EUR and personal damages up to 510.000 EUR). Damage is predominantly understood as damage to the boat or its togs that are the result of an accident. The liability does not extend to wear and tear that is the result of normal use.
- The insurances include the following insurance deductibles (omavastuu):
- Lasers and Elliots 420 EUR.
- SM40 600 EUR.
- Liability for damage (including insurance deductible) depends on the time and place of the incident:
- If an incident happens during guided training, HSS shall be liable for the damage.
- If an incident happens during beginners’ course, Open island 2019 (try out day), corporate sailing or talkoo, HSS shall be liable for the damage.
- If an incident happens outside guided training, e.g. during Wednesday races or when a Skipper has taken a boat at other times, the Skipper shall be liable for the damage.
- If the insurance does not cover the damage, either a) the Skipper or b) HSS shall be liable for the whole damage (i.e. Skipper or HSS shall pay the costs related to the damage) depending on the time and place of the incident (see different alternatives above).
- The aforesaid division of liability based on the time and place of the incident shall not be applied to if the Skipper acted intentionally or in gross negligence or the skippered boat has been used contrary to the terms of this Agreement. In these cases, the Skipper shall always be liable for the caused damage.
- Skipper is required to fill a sailing report after each sailing session (available on the HSS Adult Sailing website).
- Assignment of rights and termination of the Agreement:
- Skipper shall not assign the right to use a boat to a third party. Skipper may neither assign this Agreement as a whole or any parts of it to a third party without prior written consent from HSS SC. If the Skipper violates the terms of this Agreement HSS MRC may immediately terminate the Agreement. This Agreement does not automatically grant the Skipper the right to skip the selected boats and granting these rights is subject to HSS SC consideration and approval.
I hereby assure to have read this Agreement, HSS SC rules for boat usage, rules for permitted sailing areas, as well as all other HSS SC instructions, and to adhere to those terms, rules and instructions.
What if there happens damage while sailing?
Read here (link) how the damage process works.
The boat booking system is used for all sailing outside the weekly coached training. After filling up a form you will get skipper rights in about two weeks, means that you will get username and password for the boat booking -system (link) and you are able to book boats. You will receive your username and password by e-mail. You can access the booking system with your username and password. By having Skipper Rights to a boat, you can book a boat whenever you like through our booking system.
Signing up for coached trainings
For the weekly training enrollment, we use Nimenhuuto instead of boat booking. You don’t need to have a team to attend the training. Final boat allocation for training will be done on the shore-based on participants’ experience. During the season you will gain more experience and will be able to request skipper rights.
Every time you go out sailing outside coached practice you need to use the boat booking system.
1.Accessing the Booking System
If you have any problem accessing the booking system, please contact Aila at firstname.lastname@example.org, using ”HSS Booking System Access” as the subject matter of your mail, and she will be happy to assist you!
If it is your first time accessing the system, then you can access with the following credentials:
Username: The email address you provided us
Password: told in the e-mail you received
2.Booking a Boat
The booking system should now be up and running. Remember that you should always use this when booking a boat outside coached training.
Skippers: If you are a skipper already, you can access the booking system and book a boat.
Filling Out a Boat Report After Sailing
It is very important to fill out a boat report after every time you go out sailing, no matter if it is coached training or sailing on your own. One report per boat is filled out and if there is any damage or missing parts, please add them to the report. Find the link to boat report here.
We hope you make use of the boats and enjoy the rest of the summer sailing!
At HSS Sailing Center you have an opportunity to sail with two different boat types:
Audi HSS Sailing Centerillä sinulla on mahdollisuus purjehtia kahdella eri veneluokalla:
Elliott 6m – six boats
The club owns six Elliott 6m boats. The Elliott 6m is an Olympic-class keelboat, designed by New Zealander, Greg Elliott. It was selected for the women’s match racing event for the 2012 Olympics. The Elliott 6m carries a spinnaker pole and symmetric spinnaker which is considered more suitable for match racing. 3-4 persons can sail Elliott boat.
Elliott 6m – kuusi venettä
Urheilullinen vene purjehtia. Uusiseelantilaisen Greg Elliotin suunnittelema vene on 6 metriä pitkä ja painaa 635 kg. Kolmen purjehdittava Elliott on suunniteltu match race -mielessä ja vene valittiin naisten Match Race -olympialuokkaan 2008. Audi Match Race Suomen tiimi kipparinaan Silja Lehtinen, edustaen sekä HSS:ää että NJK:ta, otti pronssia Lontoon olympialaisissa 2012. Tiimi ja heidän harjoitusvastustajansa käyttivät Audi HSS Sailing Centerin veneitä valmistautuessaan vuosina 2009-2012. Veneet ovat edelleen hyvin aktiivisessa käytössä.
Laser 16 – nine boats
Club owns nine L16 boats. Five metres in length with a 2m beam, the gel-coated glass fibre dinghy first appeared in 1986 under the ’Laser Weekend’ tag which signalled the sort of family-and-friends market it was aimed at. A retractable 29.5kg metal centreboard makes a significant contribution to the overall 250kg hull weight and to the boat’s feeling of solidity and stability. It has a sizeable watertight storage locker under the enclosed foredeck, accessible via a liing hatch on the forward bulkhead. Buoyancy is built into the bow and enclosed side decks, while the cockpit is self-draining via holes in the full-height transom. Production of the Laser 16 ceased in the late 1990s but it is still very popular with families and day cruising aficionados, and can easily accommodate five adults. L16 have a jib, mainsail and spinnaker.
Laser 16 – yhdeksän venettä
Hyvä vene purjehduksen perusteiden opetteluun. Vene on suunniteltu 1989, se on 5 metriä pitkä, 250kg painava, ja kolmen tai neljän hengen purjehdittava. Se on suosittu harjoitusvene monissa purjehduskouluissa, sillä se on melko helppo purjehtia, mutta mahdollistaa taitojen kehittämisen korkealle tasolle.
If you want to attend trainings, you need to pay an annual HSS Sailing Club membership fee* and annual training fee. Note: These prices are for the season 2019, updated prices for the season 2020 are coming soon.
- Membership fee, adult 225€
- Membership fee, student 100€
- Membership fee, young (19-25 years old) 100€
- Membership fee, junior under 19 years old 60€
- Training fee 575€
- Training fee early bird 525€ (sign up before 1.4.2019)
- Training fee without participation to voluntary work and talkoos 970€
Accepted payment methods in 2019
- Virikeseteli/Virike voucher
- Edenred card
- MyEdenred mobile payment
- ePassi mobile payment
- ePassi net payment
- With your personal membership card, you are entitled to membership benefits. The most important benefit is that you can take the Liuskasaari ferry for free. Other great benefits include discounts on food and drinks in Restaurant HSS Paviljong and Skiffer and use of the HSS islands of Andö (Inkoo) and Getören (Porvoo).
- Smartum/Edenred/ePassi: Payment only by visiting HSS office, open in the March on Wednesdays 12-18, from April every weekday 12-18. Only one ticket, card or mobile payment/invoice. For more information email@example.com or HSS office Kristina Lindqvist 09 633637
- An invoice: The HSS membership fee and training fee will be sent to you by e-mail. Everyone chooses the number of instalments (maksuerät) when filling up the entry form. Max. three instalments, (price: 10€/instalment). The first instalment must be paid before joining any training/activity (lecture, weekly training, race or event)
- *HSS is a Sailing Club with several divisions focused on different sailing activities including junior sailing, adult sailing, and classics. Sailing Club members are covered with Finnish Sailing and Boating association insurance and that’s why membership of the club is obligatory.
- HSS Sailing Center Membership application 2019 can be found from section ”Membership”
Voluntary work – talkoos, commissions and structure
HSS is a sports club, not a commercial company. The club works mainly based on voluntary. Everyone’s input is important and all the members must either participate on voluntary or pay for the organizing work. There are many things to do and even a small contribution is valuable! Voluntary is also a great way to get to know other sailors and find new sailor friends.
At HSS Sailing Center (adult sailing) every member must participate at least 14 hours of talkoo work and take part and choose one task in some of our five volunteer commissions. Tasks are very different and everyone will, for sure, find an interesting task for him or her self. All tasks are counted as 10h of voluntary work to keep this simple. At the end of the season, all members should have collected 24 hours of voluntary.
Talkoo work consists of six different kind of things, which are valued as following:
- Boat maintenance -talkoos, 4 hours per day
- Race organizer on a full-day event (Spring Cup, End of Season Race, Boxing Day Race etc.), 6 hours per day
- Race organizer on Wednesday race, 2 hours per evening
- Assistant skipper on beginner’s courses, 8 hours per course
- Skipper on Open Island 2019 (Try Out Day), 6 hours per day
- Head of one commission for one whole season, 12 hours
Our five commissions and their responsibility areas are:
- Training and courses: organising beginner’s courses, responsible for recruiting coaches, making a season plan, contact persons for coaches, planing winter program, managing skipper’s rights and maintaining boat booking -system
- Communications and marketing: maintaining member register and application form, marketing all courses and training groups, updating social media accounts and web page, reading and answering e-mails and maintaining Holvi web store.
- Races and events; organizing all events: info evening and welcome event for interested new members, Wednesday races and after sails, full day regattas, parties and barbeques etc.
- Maintenance; taking care that all the boats are in good sailing condition: organising maintenance talkoos and preparing “to do” -lists, ordering bigger maintenance jobs from professional boat fixers, maintaining spare part and tool container.
- Sponsors and corporate sailing: finding sponsors to buy for example new sails and selling corporate sailing events for companies and partners.
Every commission has a task list. Every member must choose one task from the list. Two persons can share one task. Older members and Rosa, our Manager Coaching and Sail Training, will help new members so that everyone can manage their task. We have a lot of info and instructions from the past years, so there is no need to “re-invent the wheel” all though new ideas and updates are very welcome! After signing up you will be contacted and get instructions on how to choose a task. All the tasks are counted as 10 hours of voluntary to keep this simple.
Talkoo points and commission tasks are followed and for those who do not do their part the fee is 470€.
Spending time in Liuskasaari and sailing with other members is by far one of the best ways to spend the summer in Helsinki. At the end it’s up to you how much you want to get involved. But be aware – sailing can be an addictive hobby and you may notice that you end up using the whole summer sailing and spending time with fellow sailors on the island and that 24 hours of voluntary became suddenly 50 happy hours 😉
At HSS Sailing Center you can practice racing in many ways.
The tradition of the Wednesday races started at HSS before the second world war! Races are open for all club members and for several boat classes, including L16, Elliott 6m and SM40. Laser16-boats are the most used ones. After the race, there’s an after-sail on the island.
As there will be no coach to assist with the boats, you will need to have qualified skipper with skipper rights in the boat. Before being qualified to skipper your own boat, you are warmly welcome to join the Wednesday races as crew or joining the organizing team. Keep an eye on the HSS SC member agora in Facebook for crew spots.
Further sailing instructions here.
Spring Cup and Autumn Cup
Spring Cup and Autumn Cup are fleet racing events sailed by Elliott boats. Spring Cup is organized in June and Autumn Cup in August. Both events are two days regattas and open for all HSS members as well as for teams from other clubs. There will be 3-6 races per day. Collect your team and join! More info you can find here.
End of season -race
This regatta is organized middle of October and its great way to end the season. Sailors will compete in 4-6 races during one day. The regatta is sailed with Elliotts and fleet racing format. It is open for all HSS members and after the race, you can join in the traditional crayfish party.
Boxing day regatta
Last race of the season! This fun event is sailed every year after Christmas on 26th December. After spending a few days with family and friends is good to go out and see some sailor friends. The regatta is sailed with Laser16 boats in match racing format.
Life on the island
Membership at Audi HSS Sailing Center is much more than just sailing. As more experienced sailors already know, surprisingly lot is happening ashore; maintenance of the boats, preparing them for sailing, care tasks after a sailing training etc. If you are a beginner you will learn how a boat is working and you will become familiar with all the proper care and upkeep tasks that are necessary for keeping a boat safe and reliable. And we do this together, which makes it fun too!
During the summer it is very hard to find a more beautiful place than Liuskasaari. The island has one of the best views in Helsinki; Looking from its rocks to the ocean and Harmaja lighthouse during light summer nights will take your breath away.
Additionally, Liuskasaari has two great restaurants: HSS Paviljong and Skiffer. Feeling like ”After-sails” with a la carte dishes or pizza? Yes, we have it!
If you specifically love the sailing boats, the club has the biggest dock for the classic sailing boats in Helsinki. The classic sailing boats are not only beautiful to watch but also a real pleasure to sail. Many of the skippers of the classic sailing boats have welcomed Sailing Center members to sail and race with them.
Jäsenyys Audi HSS Sailing Centerissä on paljon enemmän kuin vesillä vietetty aika. Kuten kokeneemmat purjehtijat tietävät, yllättävän suuri osa harrastuksesta tapahtuu mailla – veneiden perään katsominen, niiden valmistelu purjehdusta varten, välineiden laittaminen takaisin paikoilleen treenien jälkeen. Jos olet aloitteleva purjehtija, tulet tutuksi sen kanssa, mitä veneiden ylläpito purjehduskuntoisena vaatii ja miten veneet toimivat. Ja kun asioita tehdään yhdessä, se on myös hauskaa!
Liuskasaarelta on yhdet parhaista näkymistä Helsingin keskustassa ja kaksi ravintolaa, HSS Paviljong ja kaikkien suosikki Skiffer. “After-sailit” pitsalla? Kyllä! On vaikea löytää kesällä paikkaa, joka voittaisi Liuskasaaren, sen kalliot näkymineen avomerelle ja Harmajan majakalle, ja huikean, valoisan kesäillan pinkin sävyn.
Purjeveneisiin hurahtaneille seura tarjoaa iloksi myös Suomen suurimman klassikkoveneistön. Sen lisäksi, että ne ovat upeita, ne ovat todellinen nautinto purjehtia, ja monet niiden kippareista ovat toivottaneet Sailing Centerin jäseniä tervetulleiksi osallistumaan purjehduksille ja kilpailuihin.
HSS Sailing Center winter program 2019-2020
28.11. Simple Sailing Knots at Club Room
- Refresh your mind on sailing related knots. We will go over useful knots and chill at club room.
- Liuskasaari is reachable via Uunisaari bridge, we start 18:00 at the club room.
12.12. Racing Rules with Mulled Wine (Glögi) at Club Room
- Basic racing rules for fleet racing with examples. Who has to keep clear at the mark, what is an obstruction? Enjoy non-alcoholic mulled wine (glögi) with your SC friends.
- Liuskasaari is reachable via Uunisaari bridge, we start 18:00 at the club room.
26.12. Boxing Day Regatta at Liuskasaari
- The traditional Boxing Day Regatta is sailed together with NJK with our L16 dinghies. Dress warmly, teams will be formed on the island.
More events will be updated soon, stay tuned!